Monday, November 28, 2011

Things to be thankful for...


As an only child I was infatuated with large families, The Walton’s in particular.  We had close friends who were an Irish Catholic family with five kids and I loved nothing more than to hang out at their house.  Their dining room table had bench seats like a picnic table and no matter how many kids there were there always seemed to be room for one more.   There have certainly been times in my life when I wished more than anything to not be an only.  I look at my cousins; three girls who despite the occasional quarrel seem to be the best of friends, and wish I had that camaraderie. 
However, I learned early on that there were certainly perks to being an only child; one of them being that you never had to share the beaters.  Whenever we baked my mom and I would divide the leftovers; one of us would get to lick the bowl and the other would get to lick the beaters.  I remember asking my mom, with a great deal of concern in my voice, what kids with brothers and sisters did when it was time to lick the bowl.  It was a legitimate dilemma in the mind of a seven year old.
My daughter, The Short Person, is starting to learn that sharing isn’t always fun.  It’s a difficult concept to teach to toddlers who see the world as revolving around them.  This week I initiated my daughter, a third generation only child (she, like my mother, has a half brother 21 years her senior) into the glory of licking the bowl. When that little hand went into the bowl and she licked the gooey goodness off I couldn’t help but smile.  She paused for a moment, then pulled the bowl away.  She had staked her claim.
It was a busy week in the kitchen.  I tried to make a chocolate peanut butter cake in hopes that the peanut butter swirl would be creamy enough to serve as icing.  Unfortunately, the cakes were a little too dense.  I did, however, score big with the Tollhouse pie and the chess cake, which I shared with my family at Thanksgiving.  I think those two recipes will make the short list.
Two packages of cakes went out on Friday, one to Marisa and one to a friend in New York.  We’ll see if they are willing to share when it’s time to lick the bowl.


The Chess Cake has been a hit with everyone who has tried it.  These short jars are so cute.

Chocolate peanut butter.  This was adapted from a brownie recipe and although they tasted good, the texture was too dense.

2 comments:

  1. I am INSANE about things in jars! These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the "Friend in New York" I am proud to have sampled the first of three cakes-in-a-jar and can report that while the chocolate peanut butter was a little dense (and not as moist as I would usually go for) I literally couldn't put the spoon down and my daughter "The Rooter" who is usually dismissive of anything new, let alone dark in color... she only wants vanilla ice cream.... also couldn't get enough of it. She enjoyed eating it AND pulverizing it between her fingers and on our couch. Can't wait to sample the other two!

    ReplyDelete