Thursday, November 3, 2011

Some things are meant to be together...


Some things are just meant to be together. 
Four years ago I gave up sugar** and caffeine.  Everyone knew that around 3pm I had an ice cold Coca Cola, preferably in a can, but never from a fountain.  For someone who doesn’t smoke or drink, it provided me with a vice.  The decision to give it up was a complex one.  Most of the time I don’t miss it.  But there are certain situations that call for a Coca Cola.  Like when I’m eating a juicy burger.  Or pizza.  A Coke seems like the most obvious companion.
That’s how I feel about cake and frosting.  The two were destined for one another.  Like star-crossed lovers they seem incomplete without the other.  Finding an acceptable companion for our lonely little cakes in a jar has proven to be a challenge.  In order to properly “can” the cakes, the lids have to be put on before they cool completely.  Put frosting on a hot cake and it melts.  I was hoping marshmallow would satisfy my need, but as the marshmallow cooled it also deflated.
So I decided to try something new:  a cake that could exist independent of the frosting.  What I came up with was comparable to an old-fashioned Toll House pie.  Rich with butter and eggs, and gooey with warm chocolate chips it provided me with everything I needed to feel satisfied.
Additional jars have been delivered to three willing taste-testers, so we’ll see if they find it as enjoyable as I did. 

** I managed to stay sugar free (even resisting pregnancy cravings) until Easter, when one Cadbury caramel eggs pushed me overboard.  After that, all bets were off.
 I think I need to work on my presentation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment