Monday, November 21, 2011

A little box of goodness...


If I could afford it, I could easily become an online shopping addict.  Not only do you get to enjoy the thrill of the buy, but you get to experience the high all over again when you find a lovely box waiting on your doorstep a week later.  Whether it’s hand delivered or electronic, we all love getting mail. 
So I was incredibly excited when I came home to find a little brown box waiting for me.  I knew from the postmark that it was from Marisa. 
Last week we were going to try our first attempt at a cake swap.  However, my plans for baking were thwarted by a bad case of Day Care Funk that overcame our household.  In the interest of public health, I decided it was not wise to bake for the masses while there was something potentially communicable floating around our house.
I couldn’t wait to see what was inside.  The short person and I both sat on the floor in our entryway and tore into the box.  We pulled out two well-wrapped, perfectly intact vanilla bean cakes with an apple caramel filling.  I waited until the short person went to sleep before opening the jars.  Much to my excitement the cake, which was now almost two weeks old, was just as moist as if it had been baked that day.  The caramel filling fulfilled my need for frosting.  The apples were a little overpowering.  Perhaps they fermented a bit, I don’t know.  I’ve been a little anxious about using fresh fruit, so it could have also been my paranoia creeping in.  All in all, the cake was a success.  Three days have passed since the taste test and I’m still alive, so I think my fears of botulism were unfounded.
Hopefully, I’ll be able to find time to bake this week.  I’d love to be able to send Marisa a little brown box of goodness to return the favor.

 The Short Person was nice enough to help me reorganize my supplies.  I can now say with some confidence that mason jars are virtually indestructible.

 Marisa's cakes arrived safely.

 Ready to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment