Saturday, December 10, 2011

It's The Thought That Counts...


The phrase “Let them eat cake” is commonly attributed to Marie-Antoinette, even though there is no record that she ever spoke those words.  The story in its many incarnations is meant to be a parable; a tale of a queen so out of touch with the needs of her people that when she learns they have no bread she tells them to eat cake.  An entire lecture could be given about the phrase, its origins and why it, in so many ways, reflects the current political and economic climate. 
But this is a blog. 
This year Christmas at our house will be about faith and gratitude, not gifts under the tree.  While my daughter is still too young to appreciate the story of Christmas, or indulge in the myth of Santa Claus, I have begun to think about how I will teach her about the season.  Regardless of your religious beliefs, the story of the birth of Christ can also be read as a parable.  It’s a story about miracles and faith and helping those less fortunate.  That’s the story I will tell my daughter.
So this year instead of becoming consumed by the gift giving frenzy, we are going to remember that it is, in fact, the thought that counts.  For most of the people on our holiday list a jar of cake will be hand delivered.  So let them eat cake and know that every bite was made with love and gratitude.


The first batch of Christmas cakes.  I love these half pint jars.  They say Better Homes and Gardens on the side.  They are shorter and wider than the other half pint jars I've been using.  When I made this last batch of Toll House I tried sprinkling a few chocolate chips on top about half way through the baking process, since they tend to sink to the bottom.

1 comment:

  1. Loving your blog! I'll be in Mobile on the 30th and was directed to your blog by Lawren Largue & Stephen Potts while doing my research. Where can I get these cakes?!?

    Ashley
    littlemissbibb@me.com
    www.toastroundtown.com

    ReplyDelete