Thursday, October 27, 2011

Why We Bake


In a strange way, reinventing yourself requires you to revisit who you once were.  Yesterday, I spent the day in New Orleans.  It was a business trip that was filled with fun, adventure and a couple of hours of free time to enjoy walking around the French Quarter in solitude.  New Orleans holds a special place in my heart.  Everywhere I go there is a special memory: Jackson Square where my mom would let me tap dance as a kid; the wooden toy store my dad and I loved to visit; the sidewalk where my husband proposed.
It’s where, before marriage and diapers, I could spend hours completely content to be alone.  There isn’t much time to be alone these days.  But yesterday was a reminder that I still know how.
Baking is also a reminder of my old self.  When I was in grad school with deadlines looming, I often baked.  It was advice given to me by a writer-friend who explained that baking allowed you to enjoy the completion of a creative process.  And it’s true.  However, baking is about more than just completing a process.  It allows us to both literally and figuratively feed ourselves and others.  The next day I would pack up my goodies and deliver them to my classmates, who were always a grateful audience. 
Marisa and I both love to cook.  Marisa’s menus are of the Top Chef variety, while I tend to lean more toward simple home cooking. So today Marisa and I are going to bake our first cakes in a jar.  We are in two different kitchens, in two different states.  When they are finished we will pack up our cakes (that’s the joy of “canning” a cake) and mail them to one another.  After all, food is meant to be shared.
** Come back tomorrow to see how they turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment