Friday, October 28, 2011

All In The Timing...

Timing really is everything.  And when I started my first cake in a jar, my timing was off.  I underestimated the amount of time I had to prepare the cakes.  I underestimated the time it would take for them to cook.  As a result, the first bath ended up in the garbage.  It really pains me to know that perfectly good chocolate has gone to waste.
However, I rallied.  With the short person strapped into the high chair, I was able to bake a second batch.  Using a basic chocolate cake base, I experimented with a marshmallow S’mores cake, as well as a chocolate hazelnut Nutella cake.
For the first year of the short person’s life I managed to keep her completely sugar free.  I dutifully made all of her baby food, making sure that each meal covered the entire food pyramid. When she turned a year she had the requisite chocolate cupcake, at which point all bets were off.  I’m hoping that I can teach her better eating habits than I had growing up, but that’s going to mean taking a long hard look at my own eating habits.  I won’t lie.  When she started to get fussy I did toss a couple of marshmallows onto her tray to pacify her.  She played with them, but decided instead that the Toys R Us Christmas catalog that I had given her to look through/tear apart was much more appetizing.  She either has a vitamin deficiency or she’s hoping for a spot on My Strange Addiction, because the child loves to eat paper.  The sad thing is that I didn’t care, since it was keeping her occupied.  Parenting at its best.
The end result were several jars of beautifully baked cakes.  I was almost giddy when I heard each lid "pop", insuring that they were properly sealed.  The Nutella satisfied my need for icing and the marshmallows were gooey-goodness.  I still need to experiment with cake recipes and how to keep them from falling as they cool.  But I have to say that despite the fact that I didn’t get the laundry folded or the pile of mail on the dining room table sorted, I did go to bed last night with a great feeling of accomplishment...Elyzabeth
The finished product.

The section of the Toys R Us catalog that I feel fairly certain was eaten by the Short Person.

2 comments:

  1. Those look amazing! And kudos to you for not only managing to make two cakes but two batches, all all with the short person awake. Way to go, mama! So, when is my jar of cakey goodness arriving? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't wait to try one of these brilliant things!

    ReplyDelete